Shopping malls have the potential to become more than a bunch of stores, upgrading to premium shopping, leisure and entertainment complexes where people not only gather to shop, but also to socialize over lunch or coffee. Attractive features such as lofty spaces, with a fixed skylight or open or retractable roof, naturally lead to well-designed, welcoming interiors that encourage customers to linger longer, and perhaps spend more. Shoppers consider it a bonus if a fresh air shopping experience is provided, which retractable roofs in shopping centers allow.
Shopping Mall Skylight or Retractable Roof
Some of the benefits of adding a retractable roof or custom skylight to a shopping mall include:
- Natural light and illumination: OpenAire structures allow exceptional natural light to filter into your space. OpenAire roof glazing and sidewall options include glass and polycarbonate. ETFE can also be incorporated into your design. An OpenAire roof creates a wonderfully bright and spacious environment.
- Perfect weather, all year round: OpenAire retractable roof enclosures and operable skylights will bring your building to life. Opening up to the sun and fresh air, they draw in the warmth of a beautiful day while closing to inclement weather, offering users year-round enjoyment. With OpenAire, the creation of unique and appealing spaces will draw patrons, whatever the weather brings.
- Maximizing space and revenue: OpenAire’s designs help to increase space by enclosing rooftop patios or additional existing spaces. This maximizes occupant capacity and gives operators the ability to accommodate more guests and boost revenue.
- Maintenance-free: Unlike steel framing, OpenAire’s maintenance-free, thermally broken aluminum framing system stands up to moist, chemical atmospheres in any climate.
- Energy efficiency through natural ventilation: With the roof open, heat rises and escapes. Mechanical air conditioning and dehumidification are not required. When the roof is closed, thermal breaks and vapor barriers control condensation and air filtration. The solar gain offsets much of winter heating requirements, all of which adds up to energy savings of up to 27 percent over traditional construction.
- Lower life-cycle costs: With a maintenance-free aluminum truss structure and decreased dependence on artificial lighting, dehumidification and air conditioning, OpenAire structures are cost efficient to operate and maintain, resulting in tremendous long-term value.
- Complete solution for beautiful venues: OpenAire designs custom solutions to meet the needs of your facility aesthetic, site and audience. Whether you’re looking for modern lines or rustic charm, OpenAire will create a stunning venue, from design to construction.
Contact us today to find out how you can bring sky into your design.
THE CHALLENGE: A partnership between the City of Guelph, Ontario and the developer, Barrel Works Ltd. set its sightson revitalizing Guelph’s downtown core. The focal point of this revival was to be a refurbished shopping center. This project had to fit into the historical context of Guelph while offering a unique shopping experience that would […]
OpenAire’s fixed and operable custom retractable roof enclosures are customized to suit any space and any shape, from the simple to the sublime. See “Why OpenAire?”
Commercial Facilities Brochure
The creation of unique and appealing spaces will draw patrons despite what the weather brings. See seven reasons why developers choose OpenAire.
Ballpark Village Retractable Roof
– St. Louis MO
Gusto 101 Restaurant
– Toronto, Canada