There are a million good reasons to enclose a waterpark with an OpenAire retractable roof. The most obvious is that a retractable roof allows a water park to be used year-round. What could be more fun than shooting down a water slide in the indoor warmth – with a full view of the snow falling outside?
Another great reason is protection of the park’s structures. Chloramines act much more aggressively in a waterpark than in any ordinary pool environment. Waterparks contain a massive volume of water, in a flux of movement from water slides, surf machines, wave pools and various water play. As a result, through evaporation, a far greater chloramine concentration enters the air, attacking the environment severely.
Though chloramines prevent algae and bacterial growth in water, their presence in an enclosed environment makes a waterpark’s skeleton vulnerable. The skeletal structure of a waterpark begins to show its age. The steel and wood traditionally used to erect slide towers and other aquatic attractions gradually deteriorates with rust and decay. Rust can leach onto pool decks and into water. Most steel slide towers will require annual painting, along with time consuming and expensive ongoing maintenance.
OpenAire’s thermally broken aluminum system for its roof enclosures, cupolas and slide towers are resistant to deterioration from chloramines. This means they’re always attractive and won’t need repainting. In addition, with a retractable roof enclosure, an opened enclosure produces natural ventilation, which substantially reduces a waterpark operator’s reliance on mechanical systems for dehumidification and ventilation. This reduced reliance on mechanical ventilation generates substantial energy savings in the long-term.
Why OpenAire for Waterparks?
OpenAire is the world’s premier designer, manufacturer and installer of retractable roof enclosures for indoor waterparks. OpenAire’s roof enclosures for waterparks are found in distinctive venues around the globe including resorts and vacation destinations.
OpenAire has completed over 1,000 projects throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, Eastern Europe and the Middle East. With over 25 years in business, our in-house team of expert designers, engineers, welders and quality control professionals will custom design, manufacture and install your waterpark enclosure on time and on budget, anywhere in the world.
Trusted Materials Used
For aquatic center enclosures, OpenAire employs special extruded aluminum profiles made of structural alloy 6061 T6. The benefits of our thermally broken, all-aluminum framing include:
- Zero maintenance: Unlike steel framing, our maintenance-free, thermally broken aluminum framing system withstands moist, chemical aquatic atmospheres and never needs to be repainted.
- Energy efficiency: OpenAire special extruded thermally broken aluminum profiles reduce heat transfer through the structure. Thermal breaks and vapor barriers also control condensation.
- Lower life cycle costs: With a maintenance-free aluminum truss structure and a decreased dependence on artificial lighting, dehumidification and air conditioning, OpenAire structures cost less to operate and maintain, offering tremendous long-term value.
- Lightweight: Aluminum is much lighter in weight versus steel, which reduces the overall loads on your structure.
- Aesthetic appeal: Extruded aluminum profiles have a superior aesthetic appearance that avoids the bulky look of steel. Custom aluminum extrusions also maintain their original appearance from the time of installation throughout the structure’s lifespan, as opposed to steel’s susceptibility to rust and corrosion over time.
To complement our thermally broken, all-aluminum framing system, OpenAire offers a range of options for materials best suited to your waterpark’s features and requirements. Possible materials include:
- Glass: OpenAire enclosures can accommodate a range of glass thicknesses and characteristics according to your design. From basic tinted, to louvered, to electrically charged, to stained glass, OpenAire has a glass system for any application.
- Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate panels are virtually unbreakable and guaranteed to retain clarity and resist yellowing. They are more impact resistant than acrylic and glass materials. They also withstand extreme temperatures and are ultraviolet (UV) stabilized.
- Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE): ETFE is a lightweight material that can be incorporated into a retractable roof.
- Photovoltaic: Photovoltaic allows for the entry of natural light, while providing both thermal and sound insulation. Photovoltaic also converts solar radiation into direct current electricity, producing clean, free energy through solar power.enance-free aluminum truss structure and a decreased dependence on artificial lighting, dehumidification and air conditioning, OpenAire structures cost less to operate and maintain, offering tremendous long-term value.
Contact us today to find out how you can bring sky into your design.
THE CHALLENGE: Jay Peak Resort opened in the 1950’s, and in the years since has embarked on a number of expansions to skiing and riding trails. Jay Peak recently embarked on a major expansion that brought to the resort luxurious new lodging options and an array of four-season activities – and a new water park […]
THE CHALLENGE: In order to guarantee success in a relatively small market, the developers of the WaTiki Indoor Waterpark had to ensure that the park would attract visitors and fill the two adjacent hotels. THE SOLUTION: OpenAire offered them an energy efficient, cost effective way to maximize the draw of the waterpark.This beautiful 130’x150′ building […]
THE CHALLENGE: Zehnder’s Splash Village Hotel and Water Park is a popular tourist spot in the Bavarian village of Frankenmuth, Michigan. The resort offered a 20,000 square foot waterpark that drew thousands of tourists each year, but there was demand for a larger facility that could entertain older audiences. THE SOLUTION: Zehnder’s engaged OpenAire to […]
OpenAire’s fixed and operable custom retractable roof enclosures are customized to suit any space and any shape, from the simple to the sublime. See “Why OpenAire?”
An OpenAire roof opens quickly, providing fresh air and sunshine on beautiful days, and a comfortable enclosed environment on chilly days. See ten reasons why developers choose OpenAire.
Aqua Vale Swimming & Fitness Centre
– Aylesbury, UK
Jay Peak Resort
– Jay, VT