Grand Opening Jan 12, 2018:
The City of Grand Prairie, Texas has been dedicated to creating exceptional parks and community spaces for its citizens for years. The City began asking residents to share their visions of what an epic community space should be. One of these visions was an indoor waterpark that could offer Grand Prairie aquatic fun year-round, right in the heart of the city’s new 172-acre Grand Central park complex. The city dubbed this waterpark “Epic Waters” and began looking for a design concept that would be truly monumental. “We hired the very best architects, [and developers],” says Tom Cox, Deputy City Manager and Epic Project Manager for Grand Prairie, “because that’s the only way we’re going to get away with calling this ‘Epic.’” OpenAire was one of the developers chosen to create a unique retractable enclosure for the park.
OpenAire designed, manufactured, built a 62,000-sq. ft. a retractable enclosure that would fit harmoniously with the entire Grand Central park concept. The result is an incredible 80,000-sq. ft. outdoor and indoor waterpark that is as grand as the city itself. Epic Waters Waterpark officially opened to the public in January 2018 and holds the record for the largest indoor waterpark under a single custom curved retractable roof in the USA. The space combines the best of indoor and outdoor waterparks in one remarkable space, thanks to OpenAire’s signature retractable design. Epic Waters is sheltered by a massive glass enclosure and a curved roof made of translucent polycarbonate panels which let in panoramic views of Grand Central’s park space. The roof’s 40 large sliders can all open or close at the touch of a button, letting in the sun and fresh air of warm days, yet closing at the first sign of rain or unfavorable weather. This system lets visitors enjoy Epic Waters in a naturally-lit, fresh indoor/outdoor atmosphere throughout the entire year.
Beneath this incredible structure, Epic Waters features some of the most amazing water slides and attractions in the southwest. Crowning it all is the park’s 83-foot-tall cupola, which lets guests feel as though they are climbing into the sky before launching down some of the highest waterslides in the country. With so many great features and attractions in a unique sunlit environment, Epic Waters will remain one of Grand Prairie’s most epic achievements for years to come.
- Drone video of the roof opening
- Build drone video courtesy of Lee Lewis
- Grand Central an Epic destination video courtesy of Grand Prairie
- City of Grand Prairie TV
- Grand Opening: Epic Waters throws an Epic-Opening
- OpenAire opens Epic Waters indoor waterpark’s retractable roof for the first time
- Opening Epic Water’s roof to the sky with a huge unveiling event
- OpenAire reaches new heights at Grand Prairie Epic Waters
- First major milestone as the record-breaking Grand Prairie Epic Waters reaches for the sky with an OpenAire roof
- Grand Prairie goes for gold at the National Recreational & Park Association 2017 awards
- Ground Breaking: Epic new recreation and entertainment center destination
Related media coverage:
Grand Opening Jan 12, 2018:
Roof opening for the first time Oct 3, 2017:
- NBC5 Dallas-Forth Worth coverage
- Dallas News
- Epic Waters shows off retractable roof and waterparks features by Grand Prairie Reporter
- News clip from Grand Prairie TV
- Grand Prairie is about to take recreation to epic levels by Dallas Innovates
Construction Milestone Jan 24, 2017: