OpenAire was founded in 1989 with a mission to create beautiful custom structures that open up to the sun, air and stars. Our custom skylights aren’t just boxes or tubes that bring sunlight into a room: they are uniquely designed jewels and domes. They are beautiful, elegant windows to the sky that let in natural light, but stay airtight and dry.
Our operable skylights maintain the sames aesthetic standards of sophistication and beauty as they quietly open to let in the breeze. When closed, they are leak and draft-free as their fixed counterparts.
Bringing Unique Building Visions To Life with Custom Skylights
OpenAire’s design experts work with developers, owners, architects and engineers to bring unique building visions to life from initial design to installation. The company has more than 1,000 projects throughout the United States, Canada, Europe, Eastern Europe and the Middle East. The scale and scope of OpenAire custom skylight projects can range from smaller custom residential skylights to 140’-150’ free spans, to even wider support spans of 300’ and larger. Every project is made with an all-aluminum framing system and technically innovative features such as curved roofs, large cupolas, the ability to handle large snow loads and more. With OpenAire, the possibilities are endless.
A Wide Range of Glazing Materials for Custom Skylights
For large span, custom skylights and domes, OpenAire employs special extruded thermally broken aluminum profiles made of structural alloy 6061 T6, for all structural members of its skylights. To complement our all-aluminum framing system, OpenAire offers a range of options for glazing materials best suited to your custom skylights applications and requirements. Possible materials include:
- Glass – OpenAire custom skylights can accommodate a range of glass thicknesses and characteristics according to your design and application. From basic tinted, to high performance and low E glass, to louvered glass, to electrically charged, to stained glass, OpenAire has a glass system for any application.
- Polycarbonate – Polycarbonate panels are virtually unbreakable and guaranteed to retain clarity and resist yellowing. They are more impact resistant than acrylic and glass materials. They also withstand extreme temperature extremes and are ultraviolet (UV) stabilized.
- Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) – ETFE is a high strength, light weight material and can transmit up to 90% of sunlight. ETFE has a non stick surface so dust and dirt doesn’t settle on ETFE easily, if they settle can be cleaned with a small amount of rain or water. ETFE can be made in single layer for small application, double or triple air filled layers.
- Photovoltaic – Photovoltaic allows for the entry of natural light, while providing both thermal and sound insulation. Photovoltaic also filter out harmful radiation, while producing clean, free energy through solar power.
The Benefits of OpenAire Aluminum Custom Skylights Versus Steel Skylights
- Zero maintenance: Unlike steel framing, our maintenance-free, thermally broken aluminum framing system withstands moist, chemical aquatic atmospheres and never needs to be repainted.
- Energy efficiency: OpenAire special extruded thermally broken aluminum profiles reduce heat transfer through the structure and therefore reduce the required air conditioning/ heating load. Thermal breaks and vapor barriers control condensation.
- Lower life cycle costs: With a maintenance-free aluminum truss structure and a decreased dependence on artificial lighting and air conditioning, OpenAire structures cost less to operate and maintain, offering tremendous long-term value.
- Light weight: Aluminum is much lighter in weight versus steel, which reduces the overall loads on your structure.
- Aesthetic appeal: Aluminum has a better architectural appearance; it allows architects and designers to avoid the bulky steel look. Custom aluminum extrusions maintain their original appearance from the time of installation, throughout the structure’s lifespan.
Our Promise To Our Customers: OpenAire Quality Standards
In-house manufacturing and expertise guaranteed by our 10 year warranty.
All of OpenAire’s large span, complicated skylights and domes are manufactured in-house. Every component is created by our expert team of designers, engineers, skilled manufacturers and certified welders and carefully inspected by our quality control professionals and independent third-party inspectors. Our experts install the structure on time and on budget, in compliance with local building and design codes anywhere in the world. Upon completion, OpenAire guarantees your fixed skylight or dome with a 10 year warranty against defective design, materials, construction and leakage.
Welding and Quality Standards
To ensure we provide consistent, quality skylights, OpenAire operates a Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) certified manufacturing facility. Each of our welders is trained and tested by the CWB to ensure we meet the exacting standards of the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) and American Welding Standard (AWS). What’s more, our welding supervisors are trained and certified by the CWB to oversee and monitor performance.
But we don’t stop there in our pursuit of perfection. At OpenAire we retain independent welding engineer consultants to provide engineering services in accordance with CSA and AWS, including welding design, welding procedures; welder training, welding audits and project specific weld inspections. They also perform inspections of the manufacturing process, ensuring that our aluminum construction meets all required specifications.
Additionally, all OpenAire custom made skylights meet and exceed the following standards:
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) .
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
- Aluminum Association Incorporated (AA): SAS-30 Specification for aluminum structures.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI): Z 97.1 – 2004 Safety glazing materials used in buildings – Safety performance specification and methods of tests.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC): 16 CFR 1201 – Architectural glazing standards related material.
- Flat Glass Manufacturers Association (FGMA): Glazing manual.
- Insulating Glass Certification Council (IGCC) : Classification of insulating glass unit.
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certified Ctructures
We specialize in energy-efficient, LEED-certified custom skylights and domes. We implement the required practices and procedures to meet the project’s environmental performance goals and sustainable design requirements. More and more organizations are seeing the benefits of LEED certification. It shows a genuine commitment to the community, to people and to the environment.
OpenAire structures contribute points for both LEED for New Construction and LEED for Core and Shell rating systems. Our team of design experts and engineers work with owners, developers, architects and civil engineers to understand their vision and their LEED goals. Work with us from planning stages of your project, and you’ll maximize points while improving overall building performance.
Contact us today to find out how you can bring sky into your design.
Hockessin, Delaware (USA) PROJECT SUMMARY The Hockessin Athletic Club wanted to build a state-of-the-art, full amenity facility with significant “wow factor” that would set them apart from more traditional club offerings and provide them with a distinct competitive advantage. SOLUTION OpenAire built a 120’ (36.6m) x 146’ (44.5m), 17,520 square-foot free- standing enclosure to house […]
Kiev, Ukraine PROJECT SUMMARY The City of Kiev wanted to build a 25,000 square meter, year-round water entertainment complex—the first one in the region. They were looking for a building with lots of natural light, aesthetic appeal, and good air quality so health-conscious users wouldn’t have to worry about breathing in caustic chemicals. SOLUTION OpenAire […]
Niagara Falls, Ontario PROJECT SUMMARY The Americana Conference Resort and Spa in Niagara Falls, Ontario wanted to add an indoor water park to increase occupancy and rates – and turn the hotel into a preferred destination. SOLUTION OpenAire designed, built and installed an enclosure for the hotel’s new water park. Retractable panels open the roof […]
THE CHALLENGE: A partnership between the City of Guelph, Ontario and the developer, Barrel Works Ltd. set its sightson revitalizing Guelph’s downtown core. The focal point of this revival was to be a refurbished shopping center. This project had to fit into the historical context of Guelph while offering a unique shopping experience that would […]
THE CHALLENGE: The St. Louis Cardinals’ organization wanted to create a weatherproof way for their fans to experience their new venue, Ballpark Village, developed by The Cordish Companies. At the center of the new complex is Fox Sports Midwest LIVE!, a 20,000 square foot entertainment marketplace featuring a sports bar, Cardinals Nation, Budweiser Brew House and a huge […]
OpenAire’s fixed and operable custom skylights are customized to suit any space and any shape, from the simple to the sublime. See “Why OpenAire?”
Commercial Facilities Brochure
The creation of unique and appealing spaces will draw patrons despite what the weather brings. See seven reasons why developers choose OpenAire.
An OpenAire roof opens quickly, providing fresh air and sunshine on beautiful days, and a comfortable enclosed environment on chilly days. See ten reasons why developers choose OpenAire.