OpenAire is a leading custom designer and manufacturer of retractable roofing and skylight systems for the global marketplace. Our culture is entrepreneurial, fast paced and embraces change. From the first interview, we consider each person's desire and potential to learn, grow and lead. OpenAire offers an inviting work environment, competitive salaries, and an excellent benefits package.
Our Team is currently looking for a Senior Structural Engineer to complement our Engineering Team. In this role, you will have a tremendous opportunity to be responsible for leading and shaping our engineering department through continued growth, while maintaining our reputation for excellence in quality and customer service.
Structural Engineers at OpenAire provide structural analysis, design and design-related services from contract initiation through all phases of design development to final inspection and certification.
- Performs analysis and design of building structures (retractable roof enclosures, large span operable and fixed skylights) using applicable building and design codes/standards (US, Canadian, and IBC)
- Design in aluminum and steel (mainly aluminum)
- Provides design sketches and coordinates work with draftspersons and other designers during design development stage
- Provides effective management of internal and external working relationships with all levels in the organization - Responsible for liaison with external consultants and engineering resources, as applicable, for assigned projects
- Prepares technical specifications
- Checks design documents and working drawings
- Reviews shop drawings. Responsible for developing design solutions and modifications when warranted by site condition.
- Contributes to the development of departmental teamwork and efforts to improve efficiency. Mentors and assists less experienced design and drafting staff, checking and providing feedback.
- Continuous improvement of self and team
- Respect for people with communication, consideration and cooperation
- Responsible for safety, ensure best practices are followed
- Execute responsibilities according to lawful and ethical standards
- Helps to define and align goals with departmental goals
- Ability to immediately step into a supervisory role, or ready to move to the next level in career by transitioning into supervisory responsibilities within 12 months of employment
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Structural Engineer with a background in aluminum and steel design and reinforced concrete.
- Registered Professional Engineer in Canada (P.Eng.)
- Minimum education requirement - Bachelor of Applied Science degree from Canadian university or foreign equivalent.
- Desired minimum experience of 8 years in structural design engineering and management.
- Demonstrable leadership, mentoring, engineering and trouble-shooting skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and structural engineering software (SAP, S-Frame)
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Ability to motivate, mentor and lead.
- Exceptional ability to listen, communicate (written and oral) and collaborate.
- Solid verbal, comprehension and written communication skills.
- Must be a team leader and self-starter.
- Curious with the desire to understand
- Ability to work in a team or matrix environment.
- Proactive and result oriented.
- Innovative and open to new concepts, proactive and solutions oriented.
- Passionate about continuous improvement; assisting in the growth of the company, increasing efficiency, service and overall productivity.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective internal and external working relationships with all levels in the organization.
- Excellent time management, organization and priority defining skills.
- Able to meet tight deadlines in a fast paced, fun and professional environment.
- Ability to work independently and as a team, self-starter and energetic.