We collaborate with developers, owners, architects and engineers to bring unique visions to life throughout each stage of the design and construction process: from design inception to structural engineering and construction documentation, to manufacturing and installation, to project completion, through opening day and beyond.
And it doesn’t end when your project is complete: we continue to provide technical support if and when you need it through our industry-leading warranty program.
Custom Designed Retractable Roof Systems
OpenAire can custom design a retractable glass roof solution to suit any project. Our portfolio features over 1,000 structures of all sizes and shapes, in terrains and climates all over the world.
Providing Significant Energy and Operational Savings
OpenAire glass roof structures outperform traditional buildings every time. With OpenAire, lifetime costs are lower, the environmental impact is less, and user health and satisfaction are invariably higher. Significant energy and operational savings truly make OpenAire the best solution for almost any opening roof system.
Any building can benefit from an OpenAire retractable roof system. Whether your plan involves new construction or a retrofit, working with heritage buildings or designing to extreme weather specifications, our experts meticulously specify each project – and make your vision a reality.
Offering a Range of Glazing Materials to Fit Your Requirements
OpenAire employs special extruded thermally broken aluminum profiles made of structural alloy 6061 T6 for all structural members of its skylights and retractable roof structures. To complement our all-aluminum framing system, OpenAire offers a range of options for glazing materials best suited to your fixed or operable skylight’s applications and requirements. Possible materials include:
- Glass: OpenAire skylights can accommodate a range of glass thicknesses and characteristics according to your design and application. From basic tinted glass, to high performance and low E glass, to louvered glass, to electrically charged glass, to stained glass, OpenAire has a glass system for any application.
- Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate panels are virtually unbreakable and guaranteed to retain clarity and resist yellowing. They are more impact resistant than acrylic and glass materials. They also withstand temperature extremes and are ultraviolet (UV) stabilized.
- Ethylene tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE): ETFE is a high strength, light weight material and can transmit up to 90% of sunlight. ETFE has a non-stick surface so dust and dirt don’t settle on it easily; if they settle they can be cleaned off with a small amount of rain or water. ETFE can be made in a single layer for small applications, or in double or triple air filled layers.
- Photovoltaic: Photovoltaic allows for the entry of natural light while providing both thermal and sound insulation. Photovoltaic glazing also filter out harmful radiation, while producing clean, free energy through solar power.
Benefits of OpenAire Aluminum Structures
- Zero maintenance: Unlike steel framing, our maintenance-free, thermally broken aluminum framing system withstands moist, chemical aquatic atmospheres and never needs to be repainted.
- Energy efficiency: OpenAire’s special extruded thermally broken aluminum profiles reduce heat transfer through the structure and therefore reduce the required air conditioning/heating load. Thermal breaks and vapor barriers control condensation.
- Lower life cycle costs: With a maintenance-free aluminum truss structure and a decreased dependence on artificial lighting and air conditioning, OpenAire structures cost less to operate and maintain, offering tremendous long-term value.
- Lightweight: Aluminum is much lighter in weight than steel, which reduces the overall loads on your structure.
- Aesthetic appeal: Aluminum has a better architectural appearance; it allows architects and designers to avoid the bulky steel look. Custom aluminum extrusions maintain their original appearance from the time of installation, throughout the structure’s lifespan.
Contact us today to find out how you can bring sky into your design.
Milford, Connecticut PROJECT SUMMARY The Woodruff Family YMCA was looking for an attractive, cost-efficient alterna- tive to their existing air-inflated bubble pool enclosure. They specifically wanted a solution that could provide a year-round outdoor feel, without all the mainte- nance hassles and costs of a bubble. SOLUTION Offset ridge, high sidewalls, and “saw tooth” footprint […]
Rapid City, South Dakota (USA) PROJECT SUMMARY The owners of ISIS Hospitality were looking to develop a new entertainment complex in Rapid City. Their goal was to create a place that would attract visitors who were driving to other attractions, and make the complex a destination in itself. They partnered with OpenAire to build an […]
Hvide Sande, Denmark PROJECT SUMMARY Norre Lyngvig Camping, Scandinavia’s largest campground, was looking for a way to extend the camping season and enhance its appeal to visitors. Because Denmark’s summers are so short, they were immediately attracted to OpenAire’s solution – a pool facility with a retractable enclosure that would offer an inviting place for […]
THE CHALLENGE: The existing pool was in a fifty-year-old facility, and was in serious need of an update. It had significant accessibility issues, the locker rooms were run down, and attendance had dropped. It was time for something new. After looking at a number of alternatives, the decision was made to build a brand new […]
THE CHALLENGE: Jay Peak Resort opened in the 1950’s, and in the years since has embarked on a number of expansions to skiing and riding trails. Jay Peak recently embarked on a major expansion that brought to the resort luxurious new lodging options and an array of four-season activities – and a new water park […]
THE CHALLENGE: Even though the Mission Valley YMCA is located near San Diego in southern California, the need existed for an enclosed pool. Cool winter and nighttime air temperatures too often discouraged swimmers. THE SOLUTION: OpenAire offered the perfect solution with its retractable roof enclosure. For most of the time the roof and walls could […]
OpenAire’s fixed and operable custom retractable roof systems are customized to suit any space and any shape, from the simple to the sublime. Find the answer to “Why OpenAire?”
Commercial Facilities Brochure
The creation of unique and appealing spaces will draw patrons no matter what the weather brings. See seven reasons why developers choose OpenAire retractable roof systems.
An OpenAire sliding roof opens quickly, providing fresh air and sunshine on beautiful days, and a comfortable enclosed environment on chilly days. See ten reasons why developers choose OpenAire retractable roof systems.