Retractable Roof Systems
Custom Designed Retractable Roof Systems
Whether you need just a skylight or an entire roof / wall enclosure – we can help!
OpenAire can custom design a retractable roof solution to suit any project. Our portfolio features almost 1,000 projects of all sizes and shapes, in terrains and climates all over the world.
Significant Energy and Operational Savings
OpenAire retractable roof enclosures and skylights outperform traditional buildings in some key metrics. With OpenAire, lifecycle costs are lower, the environmental impact is less, and user health and satisfaction are invariably higher. Significant energy and operational savings truly make OpenAire the best solution for almost any opening roof system. In particular in an aquatic venue our retractable roof skylights and enclosures can save operators and owners up to 30% in a typical year for their energy costs.
Any building can benefit from an OpenAire retractable roof system. Whether your plan involves new construction or a retrofit, working with heritage buildings or designing to extreme weather specifications, our experts meticulously specify each project – and make your vision a reality.
Every OpenAire structure is constructed of a thermally broken all aluminum frame with stainless steel hardware. Aluminum by its nature does not rust or corrode. Additionally the frame is painted with a baked on finish that never has to be repainted. A steel frame may need to be repainted every 5 years and must be constantly inspected to make sure all nicks and scratches are touched up. Any scrape in the painted steel finish will be a starting point for rust. With an aluminum enclosure this is not an issue.
Welding and Quality Standards
To ensure we provide consistent, quality skylights, OpenAire operates a Canadian Welding Bureau (CWB) certified manufacturing facility. Each of our welders is trained and tested by the CWB to ensure we meet the exacting standards of the Canadian Standards Association (CSA) and American Welding Society (AWS). What’s more, our welding supervisors are trained and certified by the CWB to oversee and monitor performance.
But we don’t stop there in our pursuit of perfection. At OpenAire we retain independent welding engineer consultants to provide engineering services in accordance with CSA and AWS, including welding design, welding procedures, welder training, welding audits and project specific weld inspections. They also perform inspections of the manufacturing process, ensuring that our aluminum construction meets all required specifications.
Global Building and Design Codes
All OpenAire structures are made with light-weight, maintenance-free aluminum materials. Designed and manufactured in-house by certified welders and quality-control professionals, our skylight manufacturing passes rigorous third-party inspections, and complies with local building and design codes.
Additionally, all OpenAire custom made skylights meet the following standards:
- American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- American Architectural Manufacturers Association (AAMA) .
- Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
- Aluminum Association Incorporated (AA): SAS-30 Specification for aluminum structures.
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI): Z 97.1 – 2004 Safety glazing materials used in buildings – Safety performance
specification and methods of tests.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC): 16 CFR 1201 – Architectural glazing standards related material.
- Flat Glass Manufacturers Association (FGMA): Glazing manual.
- Insulating Glass Certification Council (IGCC): Classification of insulating glass unit.
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Certified Structures
We specialize in energy-efficient, LEED-certified custom skylights and domes. We implement the required practices and procedures to meet the project’s environmental performance goals and sustainable design requirements. More and more organizations are seeing the benefits of LEED certification. It shows a genuine commitment to the community, to people and to the environment.
OpenAire structures contribute points for both LEED for New Construction and LEED for Core and Shell rating systems. Our team of design experts and engineers work with owners, developers, architects and civil engineers to understand their vision and their LEED goals. Work with us from the planning stages of your project, and you’ll maximize points while improving overall building performance.
Wide Range of Glazing Materials to Fit Your Requirements
OpenAire utilizes special extruded thermally broken aluminum profiles made of structural alloy 6061 T6 for all structural members of its skylights and retractable roof structures. Other structural alloys can be used in specific custom applications where necessary or advantageous. To complement our all-aluminum framing system, OpenAire offers a range of options for glazing materials best suited to your fixed or operable skylight’s applications and requirements. Possible materials include:
- Glass: OpenAire skylights can accommodate a range of glass options and characteristics according to your design and application and MEP load requirements. From basic tinted glass, to high performance and low E glass, to louvered glass, to electrically charged glass, to stained glass, OpenAire has a glass system for any application.
- Polycarbonate: Polycarbonate panels are virtually unbreakable and guaranteed to retain clarity and resist yellowing. They are more impact resistant than acrylic and glass materials. They also withstand temperature extremes and are ultraviolet (UV) stabilized.
- Ethylene Tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE): ETFE is a high strength, light weight material and can transmit up to 90% of sunlight. ETFE has a non-stick surface so dust and dirt don’t settle on it easily; if they settle they can be cleaned off with a small amount of rain or water. ETFE can be made in a single layer for small applications, or in double or triple air filled layers.
- Photovoltaic: Photovoltaic allows for the entry of natural light while providing both thermal and sound insulation. Photovoltaic glazing also filter out harmful radiation, while producing clean, free energy through solar power.
- Insulated Metal Panels: OpenAire can custom design an insulated metal system for areas of the roof that require an opaque ceiling. This can be part or all of your retractable roof solution.